Thursday, September 27, 2007

Berlin Wall

Gazing at the kilometer-long still standing section of the Berlin Wall, I am overwhelmed. The graffiti splashed and collaged on this atrocious structure stands as a portal into people's hopes, dreams, stupidity, and comic relief. I had a hard time keeping it together - so many colors and words represent so many people's frustration, pain, sadness, joy, heartbreak, relief.

I take my time strolling past this monument. At the beginning I see a young couple attempting to chip a piece out of the wall to take home as a souvenir. It's unfortunate that much of the phrases now scrawled on the surface are mostly tourist sentiments (so and so was here European vacation 2006, etc). Much of the original art has been spray painted over many times. Still, much remains in the way of references to peace and hope.





No comments: